The wait is over. For over seven decades, the Mahindra Classics have been an integral part of India’s story. Ever since India became a free nation, the Mahindra Classics have enabled Indians to explore new worlds and conquer the most challenging terrain. On 15 August 2020, India’s 74th Independence Day, Mahindra marked another milestone in this remarkable journey by unveiling the all-new version of its Thar SUV to hugely positive reviews by the automotive media in India.
“We’re proud of our authentic SUV legacy that has been guarding the freedom of this nation by serving the armed forces since the 1950s while simultaneously becoming the spirt of adventure and a lifestyle icon, said Dr Pawan Goenka, CEO and Managing Director, M&M. “The all-new Thar is firmly rooted in our rich automotive history, and it upholds the Mahindra DNA in its purest form,” he added. “It is a dynamic expression of fun, freedom and independence, and is geared up for its next adventure.”
Also speaking on this momentous occasion was Rajesh Jejurkar, Executive Director, Auto & Farm Sectors, M&M, who remarked that the all-new Thar would enhance the appeal of a brand that’s already a cult, to a wider set of consumers.
In terms of performance, everyday comfort and convenience, technology, and safety. In its present avatar, the Thar will attract not only die-hard fans, but will also appeal to anyone who has dreamt of owning an iconic vehicle, with all the latest bells and whistles.
“The Thar has represented the spirit of freedom, thrills and fun-to-drive character that few other vehicles can match,” said Veejay Nakra, CEO, Automotive Division, M&M. “We aim to protect this legacy with superior performance both on and off the tarmac, advanced technology features, excellent safety and everyday ride comfort, all adding to the unadulterated driving pleasure of a true-blue modern SUV.”
The iconic two-door silhouette remains but incorporates purposefully added contemporary touches and design elements, including dual tone bumpers, LED daytime running lamps and tail lamps, R18 deep silver alloy wheels and front fog lamps. The newly redesigned interior, with its all-black theme with silver accents and faux-carbon fibre detailing around AC vents and centre bezel, mirrors the robust retro-styled cues of the Thar’s exteriors.
The all-new Thar also has:
- All-new BS-6 compliant engines in both petrol (2.0L mStallion TGDi engine) and diesel (2.2L mHawk diesel engine) options
- New gearbox options with 6-speed torque convertor automatic transmission and 6-speed manual transmission mated to an authentic manual shift-on-the-fly 4X4 transfer case
- Roof options that include hard top, first-in-class manual convertible top, and optional soft top
- Seating options that include 4 front-facing and 2+$ side facing seats
- Dazzling technology including first-in-class drizzle resistant 17.8cm touchscreen infotainment system, adventure statistics and Mahindra adventure calendar display, smart watch and smart phone connectivity with Blue Sense app, tyre direction monitoring and tyre pressure monitoring systems, electronic HVAC controls, cruise control, steering mounted audio and phone controls, etc.
- World-class comfort and convenience features including sporty front seats, roof mounted speakers
- Fantastic safety features including crash-safety compliant body shell, dual airbags and ABS, rear parking sensors, first-in-class ESP with rollover mitigation, built-in roll-cage with 3-point seat belts for all passengers, Hill-Hold and Hill-Descent controls, ISOFIX child seat mounts, EBD, etc.The Thar is built on a rugged 3rd generation chassis and has been tested extensively in some of the harshest terrain in India and across the world. The all-new suspension set up delivers better off-road capabilities as well as superior on-road handling and drive quality.
A true SUV, the Thar also has a mechanical locking differential in the rear axle, ground clearance of 226mm (unloaded), water wading depth of 650mm, all-terrain tyres (the largest in its class), first-in-class brake locking differential and electromechanical driveline disconnect, electrically adjustable ORVMs, central locking with remote flip key, tilt adjustable steering wheel, power windows, and one-touch tip and slide mechanism on the co-driver seat.
Designed and engineered in India and manufactured out of M&M’s Nashik plant, the all-new Thar will be available in six exciting colours – Red Rage, Mystic Copper, Napoli Black, Aquamarine, Galaxy Grey and Rocky Beige. To be launched on 2nd Octorber 2020, the Mahindra Group’s Founder’s Day, the launch will target consumers “who seek extraordinary journeys and wish to explore the impossible”, said Mr. Jejurikar.
You can also share your thoughts in the Comments section below!